Monday 11 August 2008

Canale


click to enlarge

I'm cat-sitting in West London, a foreign country to me. I've lived in North and South London, worked and had many friends in East London, but West: where's that? So I'm taking the opportunity to explore a bit, went to Little Venice, where I've never been in all my 27 years in the city, and for a walk along the Grand Union Canal. On a sunny, blowy, sometimes stormy afternoon, it was varied, surprising and - with its still, dark water full of reflections and bordered by the chaotic backs of things - rather wistful.

surprising

10 comments:

Beth said...

Jean, I love all the photos but especially your ivy man at the bottom. Show us more of what you're discovering, please!

Dale said...

Wow! wonderful photos.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photos! I didn't know London had canals. Isn't it wonderful to discover new things in one's own city, like being a tourist in your own town?

Rosie said...

oh the memories...Little Venice is full of them for me. Thanks for stirring up the water!

Zhoen said...

I like the sitter, partly seen.

leslee said...

Love the ivy man! And yes, the others are wonderful also.

Dave King said...

Really great photographs. More than "Surprising", brilliant.

Dave King said...

I've added you to my blog list. Hope that's okay by you.

Jean said...

Absolutely, Dave, thank you. And praise is always lovely.

Sky said...

terrific, jean. the surprise beneath the ivy is just magnificent! i must send a few friends by to see it.