Friday 13 August 2010

New blog template

Apparently what I do in response to feeling wretched is redesign my blog template, which must be better than picking a fight with a dear one or getting drunk. I've long wanted a template with tabbed, static sections, and tried out many an incarnation in Typepad, which seemed probably the best I could manage since the workings of Wordpress are a mystery to me. Nothing I came up with pleased me. The final provocation/inspiration was the really stylish and spacious new template at Via Negativa - I can't do anything like that, but for god's sake, stop pissing about and do something with this small project!
 
Meanwhile, new Blogger templates have been busting out all over, and in the end I've found more of what I wanted there than in Typepad. It's an improvement, I think, on the unobjectionable, formless page I've been using for ages. Main gripe is the photos, which I'd like a little smaller (if anyone knows of a way to customise this in Blogger with one operation rather than fiddling with the code for each photo...). The original lure was a new title and more focused content, but I seem to be attached after all to the all-embracing notion of life as rhubarb - remaining of the other plan is the sidebar text, and a resolve to try and write more regularly about art and stories and creativity. No doubt there'll be much tweaking and it'll take a while to put an initial selection of stuff on all the pages. Setting up the links page - something I lamentably haven't had for a long time - will be a priority, and getting a domain name, looking into search engine optimisation...

7 comments:

Dale said...

nice! I like it.

Beth said...

I like it very much too, Jean! Anxious to see what you do with it. (Mine is so so old, one of these days...)

Vivien said...

Keep up the photography! You really have a talent for it.

Zhoen said...

Very comfortable to read. Clear and clean.

Dave said...

Looking good, Jean! I'm honored that my blog redigned helped provide the spark, and yeah, blog-fiddling is a great cure for the blues.

Dave said...

(How did I get "redigned" out of "redesign"? Yikes.)

Lucy said...

Looking good!